International Student Employment

ACI 12 005-MYou may have a lot of questions regarding how to work in the U.S. We want to help make your situation clear, so you can take advantage the benefits allowed by your visa status.

As a benefit of F-1 and J-1 visa status, students are allowed to work on-campus for up to 20 hours during the fall and spring semesters and up to 40 hours during summer and other school breaks. To determine their eligibility for off-campus work permission, students should read through the information provided on this page and meet with an International Student Advisor.

PLEASE NOTE: It is illegal to work off-campus in ANY student visa status without prior permission. You should consult the information listed for your visa status on this page and contact International Student Services if you have any questions or concerns.

To remain eligible for on-campus employment as an F-1 or J-1 student,

  • You must be in good academic standing with the university and be maintaining your immigration status.
  • You must have a passport that is valid throughout the term of employment.
  • Your I-20 or DS-2019 must not be expired and you must still be pursuing your degree.
  • You must be enrolled in a minimum 6 hours if you are a graduate assistant, 9 hours if you are a graduate student, and 12 hours if you are an undergraduate.